Advanced Driving Assistance
The 1937 German founded automaker, Volkswagen is the flagship brand of the Volkswagen Group, which is one of the world’s largest manufacturers in the world. The group offers a wide range of models to suit different needs and preferences. From the iconic Beetle to the versatile Golf and spacious Tiguan, there is a Volkswagen model for almost every type of driver.
Volkswagen is known for its quality German engineering, which is evident in the design and build of its vehicles. This attention to detail ensures that Volkswagen vehicles are reliable, durable, and enjoyable to drive.
Volkswagen prioritizes safety and offers a range of advanced safety features on its vehicles, such as adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, and interior cameras. These features help keep drivers and passengers safe on the road.
Rearview Mirror Integrated Camera
Because of VWs versatility, most of its models have an interior integrated camera system that can monitor both the driver and passengers in the vehicle. This camera system is designed to improve safety and comfort by detecting driver fatigue, distraction, or other behaviors that may increase the risk of an accident.
The interior camera is mounted inside the rearview mirror and uses advanced image recognition technology to monitor the driver’s face and eye movements. The camera can detect signs of fatigue or distraction, such as drowsiness, eye-closing, or a lack of attention to the road. When these signs are detected, the system may trigger an alert to remind the driver to focus on driving or take a break.
In addition to monitoring the driver, the interior camera system can also detect the presence of passengers in the vehicle. This can be useful in situations where children or pets are left alone in the car, as the camera can detect movement or signs of distress and alert the driver or call for assistance.
Overall, the interior camera system is an innovative safety feature that demonstrates Volkswagen’s commitment to improving driver and passenger safety. The system’s ability to detect signs of fatigue or distraction can help prevent accidents, and its ability to detect the presence of passengers can provide peace of mind for drivers.
JSD team brought a new, fresh perspective to the project. The SW Requirements engineers and the SW developers proved themselves experienced for the challenges faced during the product development lifecycle.
Our specialists are keen to provide specialized expertise that before that was lacking in the project and for example, the project required some SW requirements professionals, JSD being able to bring on board some of the best on the market in a short period of time.
JSD was involved in the project for more than a year now and the significant impact on the software product was endorsed also by the customer. The new perspectives, the specialized expertise and the help to augment the project team when additional resources were needed, transformed the JSD Team into key players during the development phase.
During the project lifecycle, JSD Team faced multiple difficult challenges, that were handled with maturity, in an ASPICE compliant and process-based way. Some of the main ones are:
- Timing: Very tough project schedule, due to an original underestimation;
- Info Exchange: Bad requirements exchange in between the customer and the requirements team;
- Integration: the product is composed of multiple main functionalities and for each functionality there is an assigned Function Owner. Our team is also responsible for making sure the SW Integration is well defined at the requirements level, whilst the required Functional Safety goals are met.
Which Value did JSD Bring & Project Targets
During the product development phase, JSD team achieved and delivered the following for VW Interior Camera SW:
- full SW Requirements elicitation & definition as part of a requirements team;
- support in the requirements validation phase;
- requirements management in the ASPICE perspective;
- very good ASPICE know-how;
- very close collaboration with the development team on making sure the requirements are properly implemented;
- project goals fully met during the SW requirements documentation phase;
- efficient and organized information exchange with the Function Owners on the customer side;
- AGILE working method;
- AUTOSAR developed basic SW;
- Fully independent team, with a strong work culture in place, well aware of the development cycles and task management;
- Putting in place an organized requirements exchange with the customer.